30 Hair Facts.. to appease your inner hair nerd!

Personally, I love fun facts.. especially when the facts are about my favorite thing… HAIR! Let’s play a little did you know!?!

1. The average person has roughly between 100,000 and 150,000 strands of hair on their head.

2. A natural blonde usually has more hair strands on their head then dark or red-haired people. Towheads generally have 120,000 strands; brown/black-haired people have 100,000 strands, and redheads average about 80,000 strands.

3. Hair is the FASTEST growing tissue in the body. The only thing that grows faster is bone marrow.

4. Everybody sheds between 40-150 strands of hair per day.

5. Crash dieting can cause a temporary loss of hair. EXAMPLE ( Keto, Intermittent fasting, etc…)

6. Hair is mostly made of keratin, which our outer layer of skin and fingernails are also made of. (It’s important to make sure your hair has a balance of protein and moisture put back INTO your strands if you are a frequent chemical client, including basic coloring, highlights, balayage, perms…)

7. At any random time, 90% of the hair on a head is growing, while the other 10% is in a resting phase.

8. 40% of women have female pattern hair loss by the time they go through menopause.

9. 50% of men have male pattern baldness by the age of 50.

10. Thyroid imbalance also causes hair loss. (Can be a quite significant amount of hair loss!)

11. Humans are born with all of their hair follicles and there is no possible way to increase the number of follicles you have.

12. Hair turns grey as a result of the pigment cells in the follicle not working properly. The hair bulb slows melanin (melanin is a natural chemical that gives growing hair its natural color) production as a result of age or stress.

13. Hair is produced in the hair shaft beneath the skin; therefore it takes 13 days to see grey/white hair after it is produced.

14. A single strand of [healthy] hair can support up to 6.5 pounds of weight.

15. On average, hair grows .3 – .5 mm per day.

16. Hair structure is the same, no matter whose head it is on.

17. The outer layer of hair is called the cuticle, and its purpose is to protect the inside layers. In healthy hair, the cuticle lays flat. In damaged hair, they are more open. The middle layer of hair is called the cortex, which is made of long proteins twisted together.The innermost layer of hair is called the medulla. Fine hair usually does not have a medulla. The purpose of the medulla has not yet been determined. (If you have fine hair, bleaching can be very harmful! It’s important to have a professional stylist help you reach your goals with lightening!)

 18. The only part of the hair that is not dead is the hair that is inside your scalp. I REPEAT—-once your hair grows OUT of the scalp, it’s already DEAD! It’s your stylist & your job to keep your hair and scalp healthy to promote growth and keep your locks shining!

19. Women often lose a lot of hair after giving birth. This is due to their hormones regulating back to normal.

20. Most shampoos are slightly acidic to restore the pH of damaged hair and smooth the cuticle.

21. Healthy hair, when wet, can stretch to 30% its original length.

22. The only way to get rid of “split ends” is to cut them off. There is no way to completely repair them.

23. The major cause of dandruff is a fungus called Malassezia Globosa, which pushes dead skin cells to the surface quicker than normal.

24. Hair can absorb its weight in water.

25. The hair follicle contains its own muscle, nerve and blood supply.

26. Hair grows the fastest during the summer, sleep, or between the ages of 16 to 24.

27. Hair is composed of 50.65% carbon, 20.85% oxygen, 17.14% nitrogen, 6.36% hydrogen, and 5.0% sulfur. Hair also contains trace amounts of magnesium, arsenic, iron, chromium and other metals and minerals.

28. Many store-bought hair colors contain random metallic salts. These salts accumulate on the hair shaft and can cause breakage or severe discoloration if colored or permed by a professional hairstylist.

29. Less than 4% of the world’s population has naturally red hair.

30. Cutting hair does not influence how fast or slow it will grow, which a lot of people seem to believe. Read that again!! Cutting hair does not influence how fast or slow it will grow, which a lot of people seem to believe. Getting a “trim” helps get rid of split ends, that can eventually split all the way up the hair shaft if not cut off!

Until next time!

xoooxoxoxox, Elizabeth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *